Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In Iraq at Last

I'm finally here!!!

Total time from arriving at Ft. Bliss in El Paso to arriving at Camp Victory in Baghdad was 55 hours, 19 hours of which was flying time. I definitely learned the military motto of "Hurry and Wait!"

I won't bore you with all the details, but some of the waiting was just plain ridiculous and made no sense whatsoever.

Two guys from the team, JD and Dan, picked me up from the airport and then gave me a brief tour of Victory before taking me back to crash...which I did for 12 hours. JD gave me a bigger tour this morning of all the essential places...DFAC (food), PX (shopping place), Post Office, Bizarre (local merchants), Laundry and the gym.

Then we came to the office (Al Faw Palace). Nancy gave me an overview of our team mission and a brief overview of my duties. It should be a very interesting endeavor.

I took some pics and will take a few more to post as soon as the wireless network in Tent City (my home for the next 6 months) is up and running.

3 comments:

Cajun Tiger said...

Helping with Long Term Strategy Planning is about the extent of what I can say I'm doing here.

Andrew Langer said...

We've missed you at lunch, CT. Hope you can find some Otello's-quality food over there (I don't think that'll be too hard, actually...)

Cajun Tiger said...

Nick...yeah...and I'd hate to stop your budding political career so soon

Langer...so far all I've tried is the mess hall which isn't too bad but definitely on Othello's...there is a Popeyes on the next base over, but haven't made it there yet. If I find out they have red beans and rice...oh...watch out...it is on like donkey kong!!!