Monday, September 03, 2007

From Riches to Rags

Last time I was here, the office was one of Saddam's old palaces. Here is my view of that palace now from my new office area:


And here is the new office "complex" of trailers:



Outside the Office

Inside the Office



My desk

One of the benefits of working in the palace was very good AC. That is not the case in the new office. As you can see by the thermometer, it is 105 degrees INSIDE our "air-conditioned" office at 2:00 in the afternoon. You can read more about our situation and why it is this hot inside on Nancy's post about it here.

In an attempt to try to make it a little cooler at our desks, Nancy rigged this duct system made of water bottles. It does help a little, but by the afternoon, we are sweating pretty good nonetheless.


Another drawback of the new office setting is our restroom facilities have also been extremely downgraded from porcelain, marble and gold trim flushable toilets...to...porta potties:



If you think the 105 temperature in the office is bad, try getting in one of these bad boys at 3 in the afternoon when it is 120+ outside...not a fun experience I promise!

On a brighter note, thankfully I was able to move into a trailer right away and not have to spend 6 months in the tent again due to my company having an extra spot for me they held after a previous employee left. It is on a different base than the office is, but a very small price to pay for my own trailer room.

3 comments:

Carole Turner said...

Man, what a contrast! Very sad for you and the potty situation. You could pray for a sudden loss of the ability to smell, that might help.

Stay safe and cool :-)

Anonymous said...

My heart bleeds for you, sweetie! =) Which one would you rather be - -0°C, with a wooden shower that grew musrooms over time, or 120°F?! =)

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! =)

EYA!!!

Dionne said...

Wow!! You definitely have my sympathy, I'm not sure I could cope as well as you. Kudos to you for what you're doing.