Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Start Stocking Up on Fur Coats?

Here are some of the latest facts coming out as more and more scrutiny is placed on "manmade" global warming that can only be stopped if we all abandon our vehicles and all other evil CO2 producing machines (wait does that mean you have to kill all humans too?).
  • Most snow cover currently in North America, Siberia, Mongolia and China since 1966
  • Record cold temperatures in many American cities in January and February
  • Average temperature in January was 3 degrees cooler than average temps from 1901-2000
  • Toronto breaks record monthly snow total for February in first two weeks of month
  • Arctic ice has not only recovered but is 10-20 cm thicker in many places compared to last year
  • Wind and ocean currents shown to have more effect on Arctic ice than "manmade" effects
  • Sun spot activity so low that many climatologists (not former Vice Presidents) are fearing a major cold cycle that could potentially lead to a mini ice age.

And just as an anecdotal personal experience. When I was here in 2006 this exact same time of the year, the most I wore was a light windbreaker for a couple of days. This year I had to have Mimi ship me my big winter coat, gloves, sock hat and thermals. I've only gone two days so far since the beginning of the year without at least my fleece. And also let's not forget it snowed here for the first time in nearly 100 years.

All that to say, the CYCLE of natural warming may be ending and the next CYCLE of natural cooling may be starting. I won't be holding my breath waiting for the "we were wrong" apologies to start because that might just cause the cooling to go even faster without my CO2 to help keep us a little warmer.

No comments: