Thursday, April 17, 2008

Double Talking Democrats

Back in 1992 I was not involved in politics and didn't even have the slightest interest. But being I had just turned 18 the year before, I paid a little attention being it was going to be my first time voting. Not really knowing much difference between Repub and Dem at the time and my parents not being involved either, I really didn't know who I was going to vote for at the beginning.

One thing I quickly figured out though was who I wasn't going to vote for based on two events. I don't remember the topic, but I saw Bill Clinton give two speeches on the same topic. The audience was different and to my astonishment at the time, he said the exact opposite to the crowds based on what they wanted to hear.

Now I'm not talking about just having a different speech for two different crowds and avoiding certain topics with certain crowds. I have no problem with that and have advised multiple candidates to do just that on several occasions. That is just smart politics to know your audience and what topics are important to them and which aren't.

What I'm talking about here is exactly what Clinton did then and Obama continues to do now. First was his anti-NAFTA rhetoric during his stump speeches to protectionist crowds while one of his main advisers was telling Canadian officials that it was just campaign talk and that nothing would change. His latest is his "condemnation" of former President Carter for meeting with Hamas.

He said, "We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction. We should only sit down with Hamas if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist" I'll give you one guess who his audience members were....yep...you guessed right...Jews. Yet when he is speaking to his anti-war crowd and trying to bash President Bush, he is all for meeting with Iran who also is intent on Israel's destruction and doesn't recognize their right to exist because that is the opposite of what the President advocates.

I just hope that enough people will see this duplicity and send him packing unlike they did in '92 when we had another double talker running for office.

Oh and I guess he also is now supporting the Iraq War being he is wearing an American pin again on his lapel, either that or his patriotism is unable to speak for itself anymore? I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the anti-American rhetoric of his pastor.

2 comments:

Mike's America said...

"I just hope that enough people will see this duplicity and send him packing unlike they did in '92 when we had another double talker running for office."

Ross Perot won't be around to muck things up this time.

Cajun Tiger said...

True, but Bob Barr makes me a little nervous.