Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Cat & Dog Theology

A dog says, "You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, you must be God."

A cat says, "You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God."

Cat & Dog Theology is a great book and I highly recommend it. It will totally change your outlook and your behaviors towards what it means to truly give God the glory He is due as opposed to thinking it is all about you.

One out of the many nuggets I've picked up is a change in focus on prayers. When you say, "God help me..." in essence you are saying that you can do some or most of it on your own without God. You just need a little of His help to get you over the top. A more Biblical approach as found in Ezek 36:27:


And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (KJV)

So instead of praying, "God help me to be more holy. God help me to become more like You", you instead pray, "God cause me to be more holy. God cause me to become more like You." This puts the responsibility on God and not on us.

The other big point of the book is to get out of our minds that once we become a Christian life will be all roses. We are never promised that anywhere in the Bible, quite the opposite, Jn 15:18:


If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

Those are words most Christians don't like hearing but they are reality, especially for the Christians I post about frequently with my Persecution Watch updates. This will book will definitely be in my top book recommendations.

No comments: