Sunday, July 17, 2005

Lessons of the Day

I didn't waste any time trying to think of another title for today's post, so I guess this will turn into a Sunday regular wrap of the messages during the services I attend.

Today I went to TNL in the morning and Dale taught that living the Christian life is a process. This process should be leading you to becoming more like Christ. He taught from Phil 2:15 where Paul gives an example of the lives we are supposed to live and the purpose of living that way. We are supposed to be blameless and clean (or pure in other versions) in a world that is anything but, and by doing that those who don't know Christ will be able to see the difference.

One point he made that was pretty thought provoking was that if you have friends who have no problem telling dirty jokes in front of you or who wouldn't even think twice about inviting you to a movie like "Wedding Crashers," then you have obviously not portrayed the proper image to them of the life you should be living.

Being I can't think of the last dirty joke I've heard and I haven't been invited to any super bad movies in awhile I think I'm doing ok in this area. However part of it I'm sure has to do with the fact that I chose my friends a lot better than I used to.

At Frontline tonight, Todd did Part 2 of "True of False" from the book of Jude. He taught a little more about the importance of knowing the doctrine of your Church and making sure it lined up with what the Bible teaches. His main point was that in order to know if something is truth or not, we have to know the truth in the first place. The only way we can do that is by spending lots of time reading and studying our Bible.

He gave a neat analogy. He said the FBI agents who handle counterfeiting, don't study fake bills. Instead they study the real bills so good that when they see a fake bill they "know" something is wrong even before they know exactly what is wrong. In the same way if we know the Truth backwards and forwards and we hear something wrong however slight it might be, that we will know in our Spirit that something is wrong even before we will be able to know exactly what is wrong mentally.

That just stressed even more to me the lessons I've been learning lately about being very intentional about my study time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All good messages! I missed my church this Sunday. We went to a Bible church in Dallas and although it was a good message it just wasn't the same. Plus, having to get up at 6am (to drive from Austin to Dallas) instead of 9am (on a regular Sun.) had me struggling to keep awake. :)

Cajun Tiger said...

It is tough being away from your home church. It took me a very long time to get over missing my church in LA and every now and then still do on certain levels.