Thursday, July 28, 2005

Personal Prayer

Global Impact is the missions ministry at my church. Every so often, they have a community night for fellowship and sharing. Tonight they had 5 teams that have been out since the last meeting and each shared something from their trip.

I was chosen to share for the Kazakhstan team. I was last to go and after hearing everyone else I changed my topic from the Aksai project to a more personal experience partly to have something a little different from the rest and also because that was more on my heart.

I shared how one of the major lessons I learned on the trip was that God desired to spend more time with me in personal prayer. Pretty quickly after becoming a Christian, I learned how to be comfortable in corporate prayer settings. Part of this was from my desire to be liked and fit in. This was my number one goal in life before becoming a Christian and it didn't disappear the day I gave my life to Christ.

During one of our team times in Kazakhstan I was in prayer and was reflecting on why was it easier to pray publicly than privately. I quickly realized that I was more concerned with fitting in with others than spending time alone with God and learning how to communicate directly with him. That was a major revelation.

When I got home the next Sunday, I bought a book called, "Praying the Attributes of God." It is a prayer journal and each day you pray scriptures concerning a different attribute. It has been very helpful in guiding my prayer time and learning more about God.

It is just so amazing that the Creator of the universe actually desires to spend personal time with each and every one of us!!!

No comments: