Thursday, August 11, 2005

TransPORKation Bill

As much as I want President Bush to succeed, as a conservative I can't help but being disappointed in the $286 billion transportation bill he signed into law today. He originally said he would veto anything over $284 billion, but he didn't and is still the only President in history to not veto a single bill.

The biggest reason I'm so disappointed is because of all the waste in the bill. There are over 6000 projects that have no business being in the bill amounting to over $24 billion. That is the most member requested projects in the history of the Congress (aren't Republicans in charge of both the House and the Senate). I guess the saying that power corrupts is proving to be true for the class of '94 that came into power on a platform of cutting government waste.

Here is a press release from CAGW that gives a little taste of what is included in the bill. Hopefully Rep. Flake's bill will bring some sanity to the process, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Cajun Tiger said...

I lean more and more toward the Libertarian party every day. If it weren't for their off the wall drug policy, not supporting the Iraq war, and a few other wacky ideas, I might have already made the leap. No party is perfect, but they have been the most consistent in small government, but then again they have never had any power to corrupt them yet. 11 years ago if someone had told me we would have passed that bill under a Republican controlled Congress, I would not have believed it for a second.