Thursday, August 04, 2005

Roll Tide

Did I really title this post "Roll Tide"? Wow...Alabama must have really done something outstanding for such a treasonous comment from a Tiger fan.

Well you can rest a little in that I'm referring to the state of Alabama and not the university football team, ya'll know that I'd never take that plunge "around the bowl and down the hole."

However the state of Alabama yesterday became the first state after the Kelo decision to enact new laws protecting its citizens from government seizure of their private property. At least 31 other states are moving towards similar action. Judge Roberts can't be confirmed soon enough for my taste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has Roberts said anything about Kelo, or anything that would indicate where he would stand on the issue of immenent domain (sp?). Remember, being appointed by a republican pres. does not necessarily mean that a judge will interpret law as the party would like. I know some of the judges responsible for Kelo were Reagan appointees. I suppose I should look it up but I won't.

With that kind of issue, party lines kind of go out the window. I'm a lefty, and I think it was a tragically boneheaded decision that has got to be turned around some way, somehow. Real Estate developers are flush with cash right now, and cities are strapped. Combine those two with Kelo, and the potential for mass forced-sales of family homes becomes just another reality we have to live with.

Private development is a 'public use'? Slippery slope, indeed.

Obob said...

Kudos to 'bama for attacking Kelo. It was a terrible ruling by the Robed Ones. I understand Indiana is right behind you! I could rant on, but I would be preacing to the choir

Cajun Tiger said...

I haven't yet heard anything on Roberts' stand on emminent domain. You are definitely preaching to the choir on not trusting that just b/c it is a Republican Pres doesn't mean squat. If my memory serves me, 6 of the nine are Republican appointees. While I have liked what I have heard so far from Roberts, the unknown still makes me pretty unsure.

Cajun Tiger said...

Wha?: You are definitely right in saying the Kelo decision definitely crosses party lines. I have no idea what they were thinking!!! It has to be one of the worst judicial decisions of all time.

Cajun Tiger said...

lol...Great post B!!! I bet he drives an SUV which means he hates the environment...well unless it's his wife's SUV then it's ok.