Saturday, October 29, 2005

Home Run King Strikes Out

I'm getting so sick and tired of race-baiting. The last incident is home run king, Hank Aaron, complaining that there weren't any African Americans on the Astros' World Series team He suggested that the Astro's management need to do a better job of scouting African Americans.

I'm sorry, but that is just absurd!!! Sports, especially professional sports, is the only place left in America that race plays absolutely no factor in deciding who plays for what team. The only thing the owners care about is winning and making money, so they will get the best players they can afford.

I promise if the Astros had a shot at Barry Bonds or any of the other top notch black players they would hire them in a heart beat. He also failed to mention that 6 players are Hispanic and one Chinese and not all white like his comment implied.

If sports teams start acting like businesses and put the focus on race quotas instead of talent then you can say good bye to professional sports. I have no idea what Aaron's problem is but if he were truly worried about race inequity he would have a problem with the lack of whites in the NBA or NFL in proportion to the population.

I have no problem with the lack of whites in either league. When I watch a game, I want to see the best, not a reflection of society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree Shane, Aaron's comments are pretty ridiculous. Sports will always be an area where African-Americans will always get a fair shake.

Pretty ridiculous in light of the diversity of the rest of the team.

Ross