Monday, February 27, 2006

Blessings of Brokenness Nuggets

I finished reading "The Blessings of Brokenness" by Dr. Charles Stanley last night. Here are a few of the lessons I got out of it:

God is in the process of changing what we desire, far more than he is in the process of giving us what we desire.

God's purpose is to lead a believer to confront, remove, or change those habits, attitudes, and beliefs that keep the believer from growing into the full stature of Christ's likeness.

We may not be responsible for what happened to us, but we are responsible for our response to it.

That one hit me from both ends b/c I am responsible for what happened, so my response is definitely my responsibility as well.

Four important questions to ask in times of brokenness:
1. What is happening in the spiritual area of my life?
2. What might God be desiring to do in my relationship with Him?
3. How might God work in this time of brokenness to restore me, renew me, remake me, and remold my relationship with Him?
4. How might God work in and through this situation or circumstance to bring me to greater wholeness?

All very good questions to ask and ones I'm asking. I look forward to God's answers!

God breaks us to mature us spiritually! Spiritual growth is marked by increasing dependence upon the Lord Jesus Christ. Ultimate spiritual maturity is a state of total dependence upon the Holy Spirit to govern, guide and guard our lives.

When God breaks us, our brokenness affects others around us.

Definitely a major truth! We do not live in a bubble. Our actions always have consequences on those around us. The message at Church yesterday said the same thing. Isn't it amazing how when God is teaching you something, He uses several avenues to make sure you get the point. I definitely got it loud and clear!!!

Three calls on every person's life:
1. Call to salvation
2. Call to sanctification or separation
3. Call to service

Every instance of brokenness is meant to increase one of those area's of our life. If you haven't accepted God's salvation, brokenness is God's attempt to get you to the point to realize you need Him. After salvation, most instances of brokenness are to get rid of areas in your life that aren't honoring to God. The remaining instances of brokenness are for those who are resisting a specific call of service God has placed in their life.

Brokenness is the pruning process God uses to produce more fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

More self-control and patience are definitely at least two of the fruits that are being produced in my life during this time of brokenness.

Five great blessings come from our being broken:
1. Understanding of God Better
2. Understanding of Ourselves Better
3. Increased Compassion for Others
4. Greater Zest for Life
5. Increased Awareness of God's Presence

I look forward to those blessings in my life as this period of brokenness works in my life.

These are just a tiny few of the nuggets in this very powerful book. I highly recommend it to anyone who is experiencing brokenness, has been broken in the past, or will be broken in the future...yeah, I know that covers everyone =)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome message! Greatly appreciate for sharing the book, I've learned a lot from reading your writing. It reminds me of the song Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts (great song). Here's the lyric.

I set out on a narrow way many years ago.
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road.
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through.
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you.
Every long lost dream led me to where you are.
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars.
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.
I think about the years I spent just passing through.
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you.
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand.
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.

I'd like to say a prayer for the brokenness...

Breath on us oh Lord, in our brokenness, cover us with Your holiness. Whisper the words of hope and let us know in all we going through. That You will carry us and not let us go. Lord, how blessed we are to be Your children. Just in the past years, You've blessed us with a loving family and wonderful friends. You've provided for us physical needs. All I see is something beautiful, so much love flowing from You, boundless grace and overwhelming me. God, thank You for being so kind and generous to us. Now I ask You to give us the opportunity to be a true giver, a generous, considerate, kind, and loving people who consistently seeks new ways to reach out to those in need. Please put hurting people in our paths and open our eyes to see them and their needs. Free our hands, free our hearts and our minds, to serve other with generosity. Let us do the work You've called us to and to never walk away. We will look forward to this endless day, we will lift our voices in endless praise. Amen.

Cajun Tiger said...

ltl...thanks for that prayer!!! I've just recently become a Rascal Flatts fan. I'm not sure if I've heard that song yet or not...will look it up on iTunes tonight.

Anonymous said...

Recently?! Vous n'etes pas un petit derriere? ;)

Cajun Tiger said...

Maybe a little, but I mostly just listen to Christian music with a little country every now and then. =)

Anonymous said...

I know, just giving you hard time :p BTW, Bless The Broken Road has been sung - Duets album by "Selah" and you know what? It's a Christian group :) okay, vous etes toujours derriere! :) :)

Cajun Tiger said...

Ok...being you are now quickly becoming a regular visitor, do I know you? If not, how did you happen upon my site?

Anonymous said...

:) Etes-vous pret? I am an interior designer, I was and still am on a design project for a "Cajun" restaurant in Dallas - even though I am from DC. One day I was on a search of the word CAJUN :) and from there I got on your blog. To answer your question, we don't know each other! I found your writing is very encouraging and powerful, your faith with God, your sweet content thoughts, and how God is turning your challenges into stepping stones for your success.

I don't take daily errands for granted. God's goodness in the everyday ordinary details at anywhere. I wouldn't take this as a coincidence. That's the favor of God causing me to be at the right place on internet. Because you are someone I admire and hope to learn from. I am just grateful. Thank You! J'espere que je ne vous a pas ennuye.

Cajun Tiger said...

You are definitely not annoying or boring me! "ennuye" was the first French word I had to look up so far =) I took it for two years in high school, but unfortunately Cajun french was pretty much lost in my parents' generation. My grandparents spoke it all the time. Where did you pick it up?

Your compliments are very sweet, thanks. Like you said, it is totally God using my challenges to bring me closer to the person He wants me to be and I've enjoyed having this outlet to express those challenges and changes to give Him the glory.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I took it for two years in high school, too! My great-grandpa was french. French was pretty much my mom's first language, growing up I got a lot of influences from her and couldn't wait to learn it properly. I always thought it's the most romantic language. Looking up new words is a way to learn, like getting lost is a way to know more roads :)

"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~Jeremiah 29:11

You are giving our Lord the glory, He's smiling from above. He has given you the eyes to see and a mind to search for wisdom. He has opened your eyes of the heart and your mind to see yourself as You see, blessed, loved, and full of joy.

Your thoughts of words - you've been sharing about the Bible - has become a Bible study for me. What a great blessing impact! You are the God's goodness, and I believe that you will bring these blessings to pass in your life so that you can be a blessing in the lives of others.

Cajun Tiger said...

Getting lost is absolutely the best way to learn your way around. That's exactly how I learned to drive in DC...lol

My family is Cajun French going back at least 5 generations on both sides, so that is a big part of my heritage.

As this is turning into more of a conversation as opposed to a comment thread, if you would like to move it to email, you can email me at shanecomeaux at msn dot com.