Friday, February 03, 2006

What the Heck is a Sty???

I guess I've lived a sheltered life because up until this morning I had never heard of a sty. For the benefit of others who have never heard of it either, here is the emedicine link on a sty.

Last night before going to bed my eye started to hurt a little, but I just thought it was a sinus thing and would pass. Then when I woke it felt like it was bulging out my head. I checked it in the mirror and my eyelid was a little swollen.

My first thought was that I might have rubbed my eye after changing my smallpox bandage. That would not have been a good thing. I went to the clinic and that is when I found out I had a sty. The doctor as well as my team thought it pretty weird that I had never heard of that before. Oh well...now I do...and I don't like it.

I have to put a heat pad on my eye 4-5 times and day and an antibiotic in my eye 2-3 times a day until it clears up which should take 3-7 days. Not really sure how I got it, but just another challenge to face with a smile =)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're never heard of sty in the eye?? c'mon shane-o-rama. You should be more scholarly than that.

Anonymous said...

weren't you going to school to be a doctor. I guess you didn't get to that part. HAHA lcf

Anonymous said...

Sty - isn't that where you keep pigs? Iraq has a Muslim culture - weren't you paying attention during cultural sensitivity training - and keeping a pig in your eye is a terrible insult to your Iraqi hosts. bkm

Anonymous said...

Let's see pictures of your sty!!

Anonymous said...

I think Shane went to school for every discipline at some point har har.

Love ya Shane!

Cajun Tiger said...

Everyone wants to be a comedian...hardy har har =)

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as the yahoos here help me figure out how to get access to the wireless at the tent. Either that or I'll have to load them on my computer then transfer to a data stick then transfer to this computer then post...not sure if I'm that anxious to post pics yet ;)

Ian McGibboney said...

I've has sties before, but I never knew the course of treatment. Thanks, Shane. I'll tell you, they really hurt when combined with contact lenses!

Cajun Tiger said...

I bet so!!! Well warm towels on my eye worked wonders and all it gone now.