Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Growth

I'm definitely using this "desert" experience as a time for growth.

The main area is obviously spiritual. I've had some great quiet times and look forward to my daily time alone with my Creator. That is one thing I was definitely not consistent enough with in the past. I've also read some very good books on prayer, Biblical manhood, marriage, and brokenness so far.

The second area is financial. Thanks to the blessings of this job, I'm definitely putting my financial house in order and I'm on track to be completely out of debt by November if we are extended. (The likelihood of us being extended is very high and through prayer and counsel, I've pretty much decided that I'm staying until at least the end of the year, but as always, I'll cross that bridge when the time is right.)

The third area is physical. I had been working out in DC, but since I broke my ankle, I hadn't had a chance to get back to it. Jd and I started hitting it hard on Monday. It is a lot easier working out with someone, especially someone who knows what he is doing and is very motivating. My goal is to get to 185. I'm at 155 now being I lost 10 lbs since getting here.

My final area is mental/intellectual. Of course I'm reading a lot like always, but I've also decided to get a good foundation in Arabic since I'll be here for at least a year. I bought the Rosetta Stone online program for Arabic. It is pretty neat so far. I've also taught myself Microsoft Project since getting here.

Being there is absolutely nothing to do here but work, I have the time to do all these things and look forward to the growth that will occur.

What areas in your life could use some growth? What actions are you taking?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Growing to be a better man is my ultimate goal in life. I've learned it is a long, hard, and painful process. Growth always requires change, and I hate change! May His will not mine be done.