For the "Every Man's Battle" group this past week, we discussed practical ways for men to move toward freedom from sexual bondage. I shared with the group that one thing that helped me tremendously was putting a personal purity commitment down on paper and giving it to my accountability partners, so they could hold me to my commitments.
If this is something you think would be helpful in your walk, here is my personal purity commitment. No two will be the same because they are based on your personality as well as where you have struggles.
My personal purity commitment is the Eph 5:3 standard of not even a hint of sexual immorality. The following is a list of my personal boundaries that I want to be held accountable to keeping. They meet the above standard and also protect areas of past vulnerabilities.
1. No physical intimacy of any kind until engaged
2. After engaged, only holding hands and short “peck” kisses – no make out sessions
3. No roaming hands anywhere until married, not even above the neck
4. No sitting or laying in laps – always four feet on the ground until married
5. No giving or receiving massages until married
6. Internet standard beyond the Covenant Eyes filter to meet the Eph 5:3 standard
7. Before married, never behind a closed door or any place alone with a female. After married, same standard for any other female
8. No lingering of my eyes or double takes on anyone other than wife
9. No engaging in sexual talk on any level or participate in joking with others
10. No books, magazines, movies or places that do not meet the Eph 5:3 standard
11. No chatting online except with friends and family