Thursday, April 27, 2006

No Excuses!

I read Romans 1 last night and a few points hit me that I felt like sharing.

As a Christian, I often hear, "What about people who have never heard about God? How can they go to hell?" Well that question is answered in this chapter, vs 18-20:

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

I completely agree with this statement. Anyone who can watch a sunset on the ocean, stand atop a mountain covered in snow, sit still in the middle of a forest, look at the complexity of a single cell, and so many other amazingly created things on earth and not believe there is a God who created it all has no excuse.

Once we know God this chapter goes on further to explain how we should act, vs 21 & 28:

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.

Here Paul lists three attitudes those who know God should have:

1. Glorify God
-God is definitely worthy to be glorified just for being who he is. How much more so when you consider His creations.

2. Give Thanks to God
-We should be thankful just for the very breath of life, but I know there are tons of more reasons I'm thankful every day. I know I need to do a better job of expressing my thanks.

3. Retain the Knowledge of God
-Retaining the knowledge of God, by spending time daily in His Word is vital for anyone who desires to follow God's will and become the person He intends us to be.

I'm looking forward to diving into chapter 2 tonight!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I don't post much my brother, but when I do it might have some meaning.

I find it funny that this blog about God has no comments. Yet the blogs about Gov. have a few. Goes to show you that some people don't have their priorities straight.

Anonymous said...

Do NOT change a thing, CT. Keep mixing it up. The Word does not return void.
I'm glad that you talk about issues and inspirations on the same site.

Cajun Tiger said...

Kayne...I think one of the reasons for that is that the majority of the people who visit completely agree with the Christian stuff and the ones who don't either don't want to offend me or can't really argue any point.

The Gov. debates usually start b/c a liberal takes issue with my position, so they argue theirs. With these type post, I don't take a position as it is implied, so nothing really to debate about.

Ron...no worries...I'm not changing anything...I'm having way too much fun =)

stoneonagrave said...

I have a myspace because most of my dispersed friends have one. The other day my ex-girlfriend, Erin, wrote about the couple in the upstairs apartment keeping her awake with their enthusiastic lovemaking. Tons of comments. Her next post was about the immigration issue. No comments. Amazing how some blog websites are so different.